David Saunders, formerly head coachman to The Duke of
Edinburgh, Royal Mews, Windsor Castle, England and was with The Duke
from the inception of combined driving, so has seen the development
of combined driving right from its earliest days. Apart from that, as
a member of the Royal Mews he has a great background in coaching.
David was the inspiration for the book Competition Carriage Driving
and the Royal Four in hand video produced by the Duke of Edinburgh and
appears in all of The Dukes equine books.
David was involved in the design of the open back step marathon carriage
now used in competitions and has designed several harness innovations
and some new driving bits.
Now a citizen of the United States residing in Florida, Saunders has
contributed to the growth of carriage driving in general and has represented
the United States in the World Pair Driving Championship. Prior to his
move to the US, he represented Great Britain in several Pair and four
in hand World Championships, winning the Four-in-hand in British National
Four in hand Championships1988.
Since arriving in the United States, Saunders has been a member of the
USET representing the US with a Four-in-hand and at the World Pairs
championships. He then became highly sought after for his coaching knowledge
and experience. His coaching students have included such esteemed drivers
as Gloria Austin, Misdee Wrigley, Tucker Johnson and countess Consuelo de Grunne (Belgium).
Saunders is one
of a select few who is credentialed to judge sanctioned coaching events
in the U.S. David's most recent achievement is Chief Steward Driving
for the International Equestrian Federation (F.E.I.). David Saunders
has much to offer carriage drivers in whatever field their interest
lies, be it coaching, pleasure driving, or combined driving, novice
For the moment David is busy with the preparations of the WEG 2010 - Driving 4-in-hand.
As you can see, David has got a lot of experience. Wether your interests as a beginner or experienced driver go out to coaching, recreational or combined driving, David Saunders is always willing to share his experience with you.
of the United States
- Citizen of the United Kingdom
- The Steward General for Driving USA
Steward Driving FEI (International Equestrian Federation - Governing body for all equestrian sports)
Steward Driving USEF (United States Equestrian Federation)
Safety Officer, Carriage Association of America
- Safety and Education Committee, American Driving Society
Judge - Driving, U.S.A.
- National Judge - Driving, U.K.
- National Chef d'Equipe U.K.
of Executive Committee, British Horse Driving Trials Group
- Member of Selection Committee - Driving, U.S.E.F.
- Member of the Four-in-hand Club, U.S.A.
Jubilee Medal for long and loyal service to H.M. The Queen of England
- Order of Orange Nassau from H.M. The Queen of the Netherlands
- Medal of Honor His Majesty the King of Sweden
- Medal of Honor His Majesty the King of Nepal
- Medal of Honor International Equestrian Federation
- Special Award from the Worshipful Company of Coach makers and Coach
harness makers of London, U.K.
- Coachman Royal Mews Buckingham Palace
- Coachman Royal Wedding Prince & Princess of Wales, U.K.
- Coachman to H.R.H. Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, U.K.
- Coachman to H.R.H. Prince Michael of Kent, U.K.
- Manager Sandringham Carriage Driving Center, Owner H.M. The Queen
- Stand in for H.R.H. Prince Philip, Trooping of the Color, U.K.
- Worked closely with Royalty Protection Metropolitan Police, London,
- Consultant to His Majesty the King of Malaysia
- Consultant to His Excellence the Sultan of Oman
- Consultant on visit of President of the United States to Windsor Castle,
- working with Whitehouse Staff and Secret Service
- Technical Advisor "The Royal Four-in-hand"(Video made by H.R.H.
- Technical Advisor "Competition Carriage Driving"(Book by
H.R.H. Prince Philip)
- Featured in "30 years on the Box Seat" (Book by H.R.H. Prince
- Coachman and Instructor to Gloria Austin Florida
- Coachman and Competitor for Jonh W Kluge U.S.
- Coachman and consultant to Stewart Title Houston Texas
- Consultant and coachman to Gloria Austin of Austin Carriage Museum, Florida
- Consultant to International Harness maker van der Wiel Belgium
- Expert witness High Courts, London, U.K.
- Horse master for the film and television industry U.S. and U.K.
- Worked in horse shoeing industry, U.K.
Competitor - Driving.
- British national champion four in hand
- Team member World Equestrian Games, Stockholm, Sweden representing U.K.
four in hand
- Team member World Championships, Hungary representing Great Britain
- Team member Germany, representing U.S.A. four in hand
- Team member World Championships, Germany representing U.S.A. pair